Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Taste Deprivation

The weekend threw me for a loop - I pretty much kept track of what I ate in my head...

Sunday night - during the Eagles game I had 2 pieces of pizza and a few (probably 5 wings (no more than that). The pizza and the wings weren't really that good - so I was left in a state of taste deprivation. Taste deprivation is disastrous to my diets. Seriously. I have come to know that I am an emotional eater. I eat happy, bored, sad, mad - you name an emotion and I can eat by it. I am serious about my food - I like to eat stuff that I feel tastes good - it is important to me. Therefore, when I commit to a food, if it turns out to be YUCKY/or not satisfying in taste it sort of leaves a hole in my heart. Well, I scrimped all day on Sunday because I knew that I wanted wings from this particular place that evening (very good dieting, right? sacrifice now to enjoy later....) My husband, sister and friend got hoagies from my FAVORITE hoagie place - not me..."no thanks" I said when they were going, "no thanks" I said when they offered me half of theirs when they were finished - NOT an easy thing for me to do. But, I had it all planned out. My mouth watered all day.

Well, food finally shows up. I have to set the table, plate the kids' food, act polite and put out plates for the big people... then I sit down with my mushroom and onion pizza and wings. UGH. UGH I say. The wings were slimy (I like them a little crispy - and typically the way they come from this place) and the pizza didn't really taste like anything (I need to add here that I ordered this pizza from this place because I like their wings better than I like the wings from my FAVORITE pizza place). Going in to this I knew the pizza wouldn't be great, but I was willing to forego it in place of the delicious wings. Are you feeling my angst? Am I portraying in words the heart break that consumed me and ruined my evening? Then the Eagles lost (but that is besides the point - because I really couldn't care less anyway, but going to the super bowl would have meant another good excuse to try another round of wings...)

Anyway, so that's what I ate in my attempt to nourish myself and enjoy some "game" food. Which really wasn't that bad. So, the games are over, the kids are asleep - it is about 10:30p and me and my husband make our routine stop in the kitchen to stare in the fridge. There they are - 2 leftover hoagie halves (did I mention my absolute LOVE for leftover hoagies - I may just enjoy a half-day or day-old hoagie in the fridge better than right from the store). Well, here they are. So, feeling so sorry for myself I pull out the half Italian hoagie and ask my hubby to split - he says no of course, trying to be all self-righteous about not eating "bad" food. I cut a piece of the half (less than half of the half), he has a hunk and my sister has a hunk. Whatever!

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment